robbalamma (robbalamma) wrote,

  • Location:
  • Music:

Happpy Easter

Yeahhh, everybody, I'm extremely exhausted today.
I didn't get much sleep last night, because of a hammock incident; I walked outside yesterday for two seconds to hang my wash out, and a dog RAN into my house, tore aNOTHER big hole in my hammock (I had just finished patching the last one); and made off with an enTIRE loaf of bread. I was too tired to chase it, because I had just gotten back from fishing.
Well, not really fishing.

Cuauom is one of the many Mayan hunting techniques, discovered through hundreds and thousands of years of living in the bush. I went out with the Che/Cus clan, about 10 of us in total, for a 2 mile hike along our small river, into the jungle. Included in this was a 2 year old, and an 8 week old baby slung to his 15 year old mother's back. 
Ruben started with his machete, hacking down pieces of a thick jungle vine hanging over the creek and collecting them into a bag. We got into the water and the boys taught me how to pulverize the vines with a stick on a rock (very advanced technology, you wouldn't understand) and wash the pulp in the water. After about 1 hour of this, the water became too cloudy to see through, with soapy bubbles floating on the surface. This is of course toxic to the fish, who consequently began to float up to the surface of the water, as the whole family (myself included) proceeded to dive wildly for these fish, putting them in baskets, hats, pockets, anything we had.
So...that was a new experience.
Returning to the village the nurse's aide and I gave a nutritional seminar to the ladies in the village, and also began a community mapping tool. Everyone really loves drawing their village, as many of them have never seen it drawn on paper before.
 Dinner was ramen, with some carrots and onions from the school garden; I was too tired to try anything more complicated.

ANYWAY, back to this morning;
I woke up at two am and helped my neighbor slaughter a pig and two chickens; this is never something very pleasant, but I'm starting to get used to it. Then I got on the bus for PG town and got invited (read: roped in) to a P.L.E.N.T.Y. gardening workshop training. It was like 110 degrees and i was working in the hot sun in a garden that wasnt even MINE for like 4 hours. jeez.
now i'm going back to mike's (god bless that boy, I don't know how he puts up with us), he lives in town and has graciously invited us wacky village volunteers to crash when we need to. 

Anyway, trying to work out dad's trip...I'm going to sleep well tonight.

  • Post a new comment


    default userpic
    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.
  • 1 comment